Friday, February 24, 2012

Beans 'n Greens


I love kale and surprisingly so does Bill. He's not a big fan of turnip greens, etc. but I make him eat some for New Years every year. There was really nice kale for only 99 cents a bunch at the store the other day so I bought some. I intended to make Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana (copycat recipe) but realized when I got home that I forgot the half and half. So I made my other standby which is chicken with canneloni beans and kale. Looking through some similar recipes, I made a few adjustments and came up with this.

1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts (sliced in half lengthwise and pounded flat)
1/4 bunch of kale (rinsed and not dried and torn in pieces)
1 can cannelini beans (rinsed and drained)
1/4 c. flour
3 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon rosemary crushed
2 teaspoons flour
1/2-3/4 c. chicken broth
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (rooster sauce)

Salt and pepper the chicken. Shake it in a bag to coat. Swirl olive oil in a frying pan and cook chicken till golden brown on both sides. Take chicken out and cover with foil to keep warm.
Using the same pan, add a little more olive oil. Cook onion and garlic until translucent. Add 2 teaspoons of flour and stir to make a paste. Add rosemary. Add 1/2 c. broth and stir until thickened. Add kale in a little bigger than bite size pieces and beans. Continue to cook until kale softens. It should still be bright green. You may want to add some more broth at this time. Stir in a teaspoon of chili garlic sauce.
Ladle beans and kale onto a plate and top with chicken. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment