Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Campbell's Not In A Can











I was shopping in Walmart the other day and came across a new item, Campbell's Skillet Sauces. It wasn't on the soup aisle, it wasn't where the sauces are. It caught my eye and I will have to hunt for it the next time I shop because it turned out to be really good.

 It is my usual practice to use a coupon if I'm trying something new. If I don't like it, at least I didn't pay full price! There were several kinds and it was a difficult choice. The Thai Green Curry....well, I threw caution to the wind and, without the aforementioned coupon, dropped it in the cart after checking for sodium (not bad at 450) and reading the ingredients. Note that there are no unpronounceable or questionable additives.


Ingredients:  WATER, SUGAR, CANOLA OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, DESICCATED COCONUT, JALAPENO PEPPERS, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SKIM MILK, GREEN CHILI PEPPERS, FERMENTED ANCHOVIES (CONTAINS SALT), CILANTRO, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CREAM (MILK), SHALLOTS, GARLIC, SALT, ONIONS, MALTODEXTRIN, GINGER, VINEGAR, TURMERIC, SPICE, DEHYDRATED ONION AND GARLIC, YEAST, FLAVORING, SEA SALT, LEMON GRASS, CANOLA OIL, KAFFIR LIME LEAF EXTRACT, LIME JUICE CONCENTRATE, CITRIC ACID, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, BASIL EXTRACT. Source: CAMPBELL SOUP CO

The package says dinner for two..or more. So, here we go. First, a freezer bag of about 1 lb. of chicken from trimming out a family pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Then I checked the sauce package for directions. It was pretty simple...a little oil, cook the chicken, stir in the sauce, simmer for five minutes and serve. 
Chicken, sauce...over rice...needs some veggies. 
Start the rice first. Put 2 cups low sodium chicken broth and 1 cup rice in a covered casserole dish. Cook in the microwave for 5 min. on high and 15 min. on medium (50%).
Then I sauteed some 3 pepper and onion blend and some fresh mushrooms and some broccoli/cauliflower mix. Remove the vegetables and set aside. 
Brown the chicken, add the vegetables back in, add the sauce. 

So simple and dinner for four! "But wait, there's more." We sat down to eat and were truly surprised. You could taste the chili peppers and the cilantro and the ginger and the kaffir lime and the lemongrass. It really did taste like a trip to the farmer's market and an afternoon slaving over a hot stove.

 This testimonial from a "mostly from scratch" cook. While you would never find a can of condensed soup in my cupboard , you will find Campbell's Skillet Sauces. Off to find a new sauce......
.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen those and was wondering!! Unfortunately, this "mostly from scratch" cook has no problem using a can of condensed soup when lazy...LOLOLOLOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get mad when I see over 1000 mg of sodium and a bunch of unpronounceable stuff. The package caught my eye and I was pleasantly surprised.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete