Monday, January 7, 2013

No If's And's or Butt's About It!

My blogger friend Laurrie was writing about austerity meals and everyone was adding in their suggestions. Buying meat in bulk is one of mine. We buy whole pork loin and cut it into chops and there's always those two sort of reject end pieces. When bagged, they always get marked "pieces" and get used for stir fry, fried rice, etc. Well, we wanted some pork bbq and I will only buy pork butt on sale. Of course, butts were not on sale. Then I thought of my reject pork pieces!


This recipe definitely qualifies for austerity....simple, Southern, "don't mess with my food" BBQ....no if's and's or butts about it!

Pork loin end pieces
Cajun seasoning
Vidalia onion
4 smashed garlic cloves
BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is our favorite)

I defrosted the pork (about 8 pieces) and rubbed it with homemade Cajun seasoning. One Vidalia onion sliced and 4 garlic cloves smashed and then layered on the bottom of the crockpot. Pork is layered on top. Put the lid on it and cook on low for 8 hours.

When you take the pork out it practically shreds itself! Pour all the liquid out into a large measuring cup and skim off all the fat. Notice there was no liquid added to this in the beginning as it makes its own as it cooks.

Put shredded pork and broth in a large skillet and heat. Add your favorite bbq sauce. Serve on slider rolls with homemade cole slaw.

Since it's just the two of us it is also easy to take the pork and broth and portion it out and put in sandwich bags with 8oz..each, freeze flat on a cookie sheet and then put in a freezer bag. It can be used as a basis for all different dishes using shredded pork.

















6 comments:

  1. Awesome recipe!! Sweet Baby Ray's is our favorite, too...LOL! I appreciate the shout out! Would it be ok to put your blog on my favorite list so we can get some readers over here for you? Let me know! Love to you and to Boozer, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops!! I was going to add that I buy whole pork loins, too. We're lucky in that our supermarket has an awesome on-site butcher that will cut them to our specs. I usually have them cut the ends into decent sized roasts, but I really like this idea, too...and I'll be stealing it from you! ;)

      Delete
    2. Cool! Thanks! I don't blog a lot. I really should take the time to do it more. Maybe when I get HRH retired I can devote more time and do real photos too. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. By the way, see the post Bill's Best BBQ Ribs for the Cajun seasoning recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurrie recommended your blog so I am a new follower.

    http://recipesonthecheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you! Following you, too. Love the name "Vintage Boomer".

      Delete